How to ID a Styled Rowcrop Tractor

Two Model Gs
Question: What's the difference between a styled tractor and an unstyled tractor?

     The tractor on the left is a late version of the Model G. It is styled, which means it has grills in front of the radiator and a hood that is shaped to blend into those grills.
     The tractor on the right is an earlier Model G; it is unstyled. That means it has no sheetmetal parts except for a simple hood that protects the fuel tank. You can see the radiator. It's really as simple as that!!

Question: How do I tell a styled Model G from a styled A from a styled B from a styled H??

     If you could line them up side by side, the size difference would be obvious. The G is the largest, then the A, then the B, and finally the H is the smallest. When you see one alone there is nothing to compare the size to, so we will look at other details. The surest and easiest way to tell is to sneak up to the tractor and read the serial number plate. When that's not possible, focus on the intake stack, the exhaust stack, and the grills.

A styled G      The Model G has the two stacks side by side and the grills have eight horizontal slots in them.

Model A      The Model A also has grills with eight horizontal slots but the stacks are both along the centerline of the tractor, with the intake directly behind the exhaust.

Model B      On the Model B the stacks are also on the centerline of the tractor but the grills only have SEVEN horizontal slots.

The hood on the H      The grills on the Model H have seven slots, but now there is NO intake stack. There is ONLY an exhaust stack. The intake is a small screened rectangular opening in the left side of the hood right in front of the word "JOHN".

     This method is foolproof even if the stacks are missing, as long as you can still see the holes in the hood where the stacks should be. If the grills are missing.... ut oh!

ID an unstyled tractor.... or

Go back to the page you just came from......